Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : ANALYSIS OF LAMINATED COMPOSITE PLATES AND SHELLS USING ANSYS
Volume 04 Issue 07 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 19-22
Abstract – The buckling behavior of laminated plates and shells subjected to uniform in plane edge loading is studied using ANSYS. Laminated square plates subjected to uniaxial and biaxial compression loading is analysed for various modular ratio, mixed boundary conditions, span-to-thickness ratios have been analysed for buckling. The results are obtained using ANSYS with SHELL 181 element. The results obtained are compared with those obtained using FSDT and HSDT techniques from published papers and are in good agreement. Buckling analysis of laminated shells was also analysed. The vibration response of laminated plates and cylindrical shells was also performed using ANSYS for various aspect ratios, boundary conditions, lamination schemes, span-to-thickness ratios, skew angles etc. The results obtained are compared with those obtained from various published papers and are in good agreement.
- Yang HTY, Saigal S, Masud A, Kapania RK. A survey of recent shell element. Int J Numer Methods Eng 2000; 47(1–3):101–127.
- Leissa AW. A review of laminated composite plate buckling. Appl Mech Rev 1987; 40(5):575–591.
- Aydogu M. Comparison of various shear deformation theories for bending, buckling, and vibration of rectangular symmetric cross-ply plate with simply support. J Composite Mater 2006; 40:2143–2155.
- Mohamad SQ. Recent research advances in the dynamic behaviour of shell: 1989–2000, Part 1: Laminated composite shells. ASME Appl Mech Rev 2002; 55(4):325–350.
- Liew KM, Hung KC, Lim MK. Three-dimensional vibration of rectangular plates: effects of thickness and edge constraints. J Sound Vib 1995; 182(5):709–727.
- Liew KM, Teo TM. Three-dimensional vibration analysis of rectangular plates based on differential quadrature method. J Sound Vib 1999; 220(4):577–599.
- Liew KM, Teo TM, Han J-B. A continuum three-dimensional vibration analysis of thick rectangular plates. Int J Solids Struct 1993; 30(24):3357– 3379.
- Liew KM, Hung KC, Lim MK. Three-dimensional vibration of rectangular plates: variance of simple support conditions and influence of in-plane inertia. Int J Solids Struct 1994; 31(23):3233–3347.
- Liew KM, Teo TM, Han J-B. Comparative accuracy of DQ and HDQ methods for three-dimensional vibration analysis of rectangular plates. Int J Numer Methods Eng 1999; 45:1831–1848.
- Providas E, Kattis MA. An assessment of two fundamental flat triangular shell elements with drilling rotations. Comput Struct 2000; 77:129–139.
- Choi C-K, Lee T-Y. Efficient remedy for membrane locking of 4-node flat shell elements by non-conforming modes. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng 2003; 192:1961–1971.