Journal Title : International Journal of Modern Trends in Engineering and Science
Paper Title : A PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF LEAN MANAGEMENT IN CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
Volume 04 Issue 07 2017
ISSN no: 2348-3121
Page no: 31-33
Abstract – Waste is one of the main problems plaguing the construction industry. The need for identifying the sources of waste and eliminating them has resulted in the extension of the concept of lean and the development of lean principles and tools, especially for the construction industry. In order to improve the efficiency and reduction of waste, the lean construction has been introduced as a new management principle for better implementation. Currently many construction companies like USA, UK, Australia, Brazil, and Singapore are started to implement the lean construction to obtain better result from their current projects. There are many challenges to implement the lean concept in construction industry. In India, the implementation of lean management in construction industry is a major task. Due to lack of attention and illiterate towards the lean management principle the owner, contractor, engineers etc. are still developing stage to implement this principle in their project. This paper presents the possibilities of using lean management principle in construction industry, which can surely increase the quality of work and rate by eliminating the wastage of materials. Most of the lean construction tools selected for the project are either ready to use, or are recommended with some modifications. A summary of the results is provided, and future research needs are outlined.
Keywords – Lean, Construction, Tools & Techniques and Implementation
- Algan Tezel et al., (2012) “Lean Construction Conformance among Construction Contractors in Turkey”. Journal of Management in Engineering (ASCE) ME.1943-5479.0000145.
- Daeyoung Kim et al., (2006) “Innovative construction management method: Assessment of lean construction implementation”. ASCE journals, Vol. No. 10, P.No:381-388.
- Dong-Eun Lee et al., (2005) “Probability of Project Completion Using Stochastic Project Scheduling Simulation Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 131, No. 3, ©ASCE.
- Eric Johansen et al., (2007) “Lean Construction: prospects for the German construction industries” lean construction journals, Vol. No. 3, P.No:19-32.
- Esquenazi. A et al., (2007) “Simulation of Lean Construction of High-Rise Apartment Buildings”. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 133, No. 7, ©ASCE
- Haitao Yu et al., (2009) “Development of Lean Model for House Construction Using Value Stream Mapping”. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 135, No. 8, ©ASCE
- Haitao Yu et al., (2011) “Lean Transformation in a Modular Building Company: A Case for Implementation”. Journal of Management in Engineering. (ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000115.
- Isabelina Nahmens et al., (2012) “Effects of Lean Construction on Sustainability of Modular Home building” Journal of Architectural Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 2, ©ASCE.
- Lee Davis et al., (2010) “Developing Lean Supply In Construction” In: Egbu, C. (Ed) Procs 26th Annual ARCOM Conference, Leeds, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 705-713
- Randolph Thomas.H et al., (2002) “Reducing Variability to Improve Performance as a Lean Construction Principle”. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 128, No. 2, ©ASCE.
- Salem et al., (2006) “Site Implementation and Assessment of Lean Construction Techniques”. Lean construction journals, Vol. No. 2, P.No:01-21.